Thursday, November 20, 2014

WebGL Chrome Experiments using Google's Chrome Browser

In this assignment, I look at some of Google's Chrome Experiments site to explore some 3D experiments that people have made using WebGL.

The first experiment I chose was the SPH (Smoothed-particle hydrodynamics) Fluid Simulator. It is a very realistic and interesting simulation of fluid dynamics. http://www.chromeexperiments.com/detail/sph-and-marching-cubes-fluid-simulator/?f=

The experiment allows you to control some aspects of the simulation, as you can see in the screenshot. I noticed that as I increased the number of particles, the simulation quality went down a little bit.

I can also move the ball around in the tank to see how the fluid (presumably water) moves around and is displaced by the ball.

This is a 3D simulation of neuron activity in the brain called the Artificial Neural Network. http://www.chromeexperiments.com/detail/artificial-neural-network/?f=

This was also an interesting simulation - as you can see, there are many controls you can use to manipulate the neuron activity. You can adjust the speed, the intensity, or the size of the signals.

Here is some activity after I increased the number of signals.

The last 3D simulation I chose was the Car Visualizer. I've always loved cars, so this one seemed like a good choice. http://www.chromeexperiments.com/detail/car-visualizer/?f=

I chose the Aston Martin V8 Vantage.  Can't say I'm a huge fan of the rims they chose for the simulation, but unfortunately those can't be changed.

There wasn't a ton of stuff I could do with the car, other than change the model and color. I was able to rotate it around to look at it from any angle though.

No comments:

Post a Comment